Introduction to Food Science (9279.1)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Health|
|Discipline:||Discipline of Nutrition and Dietetics|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Nenad NAUMOVSKI (Ph: +61 2 62068719 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (197260) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (188409) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (180197) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (164350) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (151752) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (140470) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
The unit provides students with an introduction to the topics in Food Science and Technology. Students will explore and gain an understanding into the history of food science and the factors that have shaped food science in Australia; the organisations involved in food regulatory processes and policy development; and consumer attitudes and behaviour towards the topics of food science and technology. This unit will also familarise students with current food processing and preservation techniques; the requirements for food additives; and food safety and stability.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. explain the development of food science in Australia;
2. analyse consumer attitudes and behaviours towards food safety, food processing and preservation techniques;
3. demonstrate an understanding of the food processing and preservation techniques;
4. understand the requirements and policy relating to food additives;
5. apply the food safety standards to specific situations.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
- Semester 2, 2017
- Semester 2, 2016
- Semester 2, 2015
5 hours per week
Students cannot enrol in this unit if they are enrolled in or have already completed 8251 Food Science.
- 986AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Advertising and Marketing Communication
- 987AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Journalism
- 988AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Media Arts and Production
- 989AA Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Public Relations
- 798AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce
- 125JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies
- 216JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Advertising
- 217JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Journalism
- 218JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Media and Public Affairs
- 219JA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication in Public Relations
- 799AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 801AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws
- 802AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Management
- 804AA Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- 317JA Bachelor of Health Science
- HLHL01 Bachelor of Health Science (Human Movement)/ Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- HLB102 Bachelor of Health Science (Nutrition Studies)
- 686AA Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 154JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 276JA Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Human Nutrition
- 358JA Diploma of Health