Mathematical Methods (577.8)
|Level:||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|
|HECS Bands:||2, 4|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Technology|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Judith ASCIONE (Ph: +61 2 62012044 ) ON-CAMPUS 2020 Semester 2 DR Judith ASCIONE (Ph: +61 2 62012044 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 2, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (195673) - View
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (194410) - View
- Semester 2, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185436) - View
- Winter Term, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185636) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185084) - View
- Semester 2, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (181420) - View
- Winter Term, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (181436) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (181405) - View
- Semester 2, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166288) - View
- Winter Term, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (166119) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (165834) - View
- Semester 2, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (151475) - View
- Winter Term, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (152599) - View
- Semester 1, 2016, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (154375) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, UC-MELB (139933) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, SWSI-LVPL (139934) - View
- Semester 2, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (139932) - View
- Winter Term, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (149363) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, UC-MELB (146722) - View
- Semester 1, 2015, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (145805) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit teaches the fundamental methods of differentiation, and introduces matrix and vector algebra. This is the basis for most scientific applications of mathematics and is a core part of the senior secondary curriculum for mathematics educators. Topics include algebra, functions, limits, continuity, differentiation, vectors, matrices, and applications. The unit provides students with a thorough understanding of the basic techniques, together with an introduction to applications, focusing particularly on applications in chemistry, biology, and health.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the basic concepts;
2. Calculate with functions, matrices and vectors;
3. Recognise situations where functional methods can be applied to chemistry, biology, and health; and
4. Apply the methods in straightforward real-life examples.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 2, 2020
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 2, 2019
- Winter Term, 2019
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 2, 2018
- Winter Term, 2018
- Semester 1, 2018
A 2-hour lecture and a 2-hour tutorial per week.
There are no UC prerequisites, however it is assumed that students have the background of High School mathematics to the level of an ACT College Mathematical Applications major.
- 142JA Bachelor of Applied Science in Forensic Studies
- 264JA Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- 203JA Bachelor of Education
- 115JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science
- 205JA Bachelor of Educational Studies
- 791AA Bachelor of Environmental Science
- 322HG Bachelor of Information Technology
- 660AA Bachelor of Medical Science
- 131JA Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science
- 321JA Bachelor of Primary Education
- 322JA Bachelor of Primary Education (STeM)
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science
- 157JA Bachelor of Sport Coaching and Exercise Science/Bachelor of Information Technology
- 192JA Diploma of Science