Genetics and Genomics (10223.2)
|Level:||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Discipline:||Academic Program Area - Science|
UC - Canberra, Bruce
Year Teaching Period Convener Mode of Delivery 2020 Semester 1 DR Tariq EZAZ (Ph: +61 2 62012297 ) ON-CAMPUS
Possible changes to your unit's learning activities and assessment items
For the remainder of 2020, resulting from Australian Government's directives requiring physical distancing and restrictions on movement because of the COVID-19 pandemic, any exams that are required for assessment in a unit will be online exams. Online exams may also use online proctoring to help assure the academic integrity of those exams. Please contact your unit convener with any questions.
While the University has made efforts to ensure that Unit Outlines reflect a unit’s learning activities and assessment items, any changes to Australian Government directives because of the COVID-19 pandemic may require changes to these during the semester to ensure the safety and well being of students and staff. These changes will not be updated in the published unit outline, but will be communicated to you via your unit’s UCLearn(Canvas) teaching site. Any changes made will continue to meet the unit’s learning outcomes, as described in the Unit Outline.
To view your Unit Outline, click View to log in to MyUC and access this information, or visit your unit's online teaching site.
- Semester 1, 2020, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (193707) - View
- Semester 1, 2019, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (185282) - View
- Semester 1, 2018, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (182027) - View
- Semester 1, 2017, ON-CAMPUS, BRUCE (169915) - View
If a link to your Unit Outline is not displayed, please check back later. Unit Outlines are generally published by Week One of the relevant teaching period.
This unit is designed to introduce students to the broad concepts and principles of genetics and genomics. It will integrate such knowledge into the broader framework of human biology, particularly issues to do with human health and society, environmental science, landscape ecology, and forensic science. Topics to be considered include: chromosomes, genes and genome sequencing, bioinformatics, epigenetics and recombinant DNA technology applicable from molecules to human health and to ecology.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand and articulate the roles for inheritance/genetic mechanisms in human health & disease, and environment & society along with ethical issues associated with genetic knowledge;
2.Understand and describe key processes involved in the inheritance and expression of genes;
3.Analyse and interpret biological and evolutionary problems in terms of genetic/genomics concepts and be able to utilise modern genetic/genomic tools to conduct further investigation;
4.Clearly communicate genetic concepts so they are understood across a wide range of scientific disciplines;
5.Work effectively as independent researcher and in teams within a laboratory setting; and
6.Develop an awareness of genetic issues as they are viewed within society and across cultural boundaries.
UC - Canberra, Bruce
- Semester 1, 2020
- Semester 1, 2019
- Semester 1, 2018
The mode of delivery is Standard face-to-face teaching and online. This will include lectures, extensive hands on learning via group tutorials and laboratory experiments as appropriate. There will also be considerable on-line components including online laboratories and podcasts delivered by renowned laboratories and academics (e.g. Cold Spring Harbour).
Concepts in Biology, 483.
1st year chemistry, biology, and mathematics.
- 142JA Bachelor of Applied Science in Forensic Studies
- 365AE Bachelor of Applied Science in Human Biology
- 264JA Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- 115JA Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Science
- 791AA Bachelor of Environmental Science
- NPSC02 Bachelor of Forensic Studies/ Bachelor of Laws
- 194JA Bachelor of Forensic Studies/Bachelor of Laws
- SCNP01 Bachelor of Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- 249JA Bachelor of Justice Studies/Bachelor of Forensic Studies
- 660AA Bachelor of Medical Science
- 131JA Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science
- 392AB Bachelor of Science
- 994AA Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Journalism
- NPSC01 Bachelor of Science/ Bachelor of Laws
- 836AA Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Laws
- 330JA Bachelor of Secondary Education (Health and Physical Education)
- 328JA Bachelor of Secondary Education/Bachelor of Science
- MJ0013 Major in Biological Chemistry
- MJ0132 Major in Biology 1
- MJ0133 Major in Biology 2
- MJ0194 Major in Environmental Genetics
- MJ0043 Major in Forensic Biology
- MJ0045 Major in Genetic Counselling
- MJ0046 Major in Genetics
- MJ0053 Major in Human Biology: Chemical & Molecular Principles
- MN0009 Minor in Biology 1
- MN0010 Minor in Biology 2
- MN0080 Minor in Molecular Biology and Genetics